Santa Fe Boasts Nation’s Largest & Oldest Recycled Art Market
The country’s largest and oldest recycled art market, Recycle Santa Fe Art Festival, is dedicated to showcasing art created from discarded materials. This exciting weekend-long event is celebrating its 19th year in 2017 and kicks off with Friday night’s famous Trash Fashion and Costume Contest, then continues with an inspiring art market, student juried art exhibits, and make and take art activities.
- Each year the event attracts over 3500 art-lovers from around Santa Fe, New Mexico and the region attracted by the art deals, family friendly art making activities, gallery-worthy exhibits and perfect gifts.
- Every school in Santa Fe (public and private) is invited to participate for free in the student juried art exhibits. The exhibits often correlate with a lesson plan noting the importance of recycling and reducing waste.
- The weekend event includes a gallery-style adult juried art exhibit.
- Santa Fe boasts numerous recycled-media artists that have participated in the event since its inception and are available for studio tours and interviews (a few such artists include kathleenoneillart.com, http://pasquals.com/The_Gallery/Rick_Phelps-Paper_Mache/index.html). Contact Sarah Pierpont for details and to help coordinate an interview and/or photo opportunity.
- Artists travel from across the state and country to participate in the art market. Many artists make their living from selling recycled art. This show is an important economic development tool for artists.
- More than 90 artists from New Mexico, Colorado, Illinois, California, Arizona and elsewhere offer their original pieces for sale in the Art Market.
- The Festival has been utilized by organizations in Colorado, Illinois, Australia, Albuquerque and Canada as a model or template for other Recycled Art Shows
- All art consists of a minimum of 75% recycled materials – everything from vintage tin cans turned into beautiful earrings to scrap metal sculptures. Artists successfully upcycle trash into treasure, combining recycling and innovation to show creative ways to save our resources, while making one of a kind art. The event demonstrates the resourcefulness of the artists and has grown into a powerful economic development tool for existing and emerging artists.
Friday general admission (purchased at the door) $5 and under 12 are free. The Friday night recycle fashion show is at 7pm, tickets include general admission and are $15-20 and may be purchased ahead of time through www.ticketssantafe.org or by calling 988-1234. Free Saturday & Sunday. More information can be found at www.recyclesantafe.org
2017 Santa Fe Recycling Festival
Friday, November 17 – 5 PM to 9 PM
Saturday, November 18 – 9 AM to 5 PM
Sunday, November 19 – 10 AM to 5 PM
Santa Fe Community Convention Center
201 W. Marcy Street (Downtown Santa Fe)
For more info call Sarah Pierpont 505-603-0558 (cell) or visit www.recyclesantafe.org